Since the groundhog saw his shadow, it looks like we’re in for a few more weeks of winter, so don’t put those comfort food recipes away yet! In fact, before the chilly weather comes to an end, make sure you work this shepherd’s pie recipe into the mix. The warm, savory dish is a family favorite, and it’s pretty easy to make. It can also be made vegan by removing the beef, using vegetable broth and adding more vegetables. Go enjoy some and warm right up!
1/2 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
8 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor, divided in half
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. Redmond Real Salt
1/2 tsp. organic black pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup peas
1-1/2 lbs. organic, grass-fed beef
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Sauté garlic, onion and carrots in half of coconut oil. Cook until soft. Add broth, salt, pepper and beef and cook an additional 10 minutes on low heat.
- Drain potatoes and mash them with almond milk and remaining coconut oil.
- In 8” x 13” baking dish, layer beef-veggie mixture, peas and then mashed potatoes. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over top of potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbling.