Fresh, warm cinnamon buns in the morning bring forth all the feels. If you consider this indulgent treat a thing of the past, you many want to give our guilt-free version a shot. Made with organic, non-GMO and dairy-free ingredients, these spiraled rolls will without a doubt taste better than you remember. Enjoy the smell of cinnamon, brown sugar and vegan butter bubbling away in the oven while you prepare sweet, homemade icing to melt on top. Share them with your family on a lazy weekend morning to bring life back to your breakfast table!
If you prefer mini cinnamon rolls, simply cut this recipe in half.
Yields 20 cinnamon rolls
1-1/2 cups almond milk, lukewarm
4-1/2 tsp. Red Star Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar
4 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Egg Replacer + 8 Tbsp. water, mixed together
1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, melted
6 cups King Arthur Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Vitacost Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
1. In mixing bowl, combine almond milk and yeast. Once mixture begins to bubble, add sugar, butter and egg replacer and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, sift flour and salt. Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until sticky.
3. In lightly oiled bowl, add dough and cover with towel or wrap. Set aside for roughly 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. When ready, transfer dough onto flat floured surface. Roll into 12×15 rectangle.
6. Smear butter on top and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Repeat with cinnamon.
7. Starting at the edge closest to you, begin to tuck and roll up dough. Continue to roll into log shape. Slice into 20 pieces. (Note: Slice log very carefully to avoid squishing dough.)
8. On greased baking dish, arrange cinnamon rolls and set aside for 30-45 minutes to rise once more.
9. In the meantime, combine icing ingredients in bowl. Place in fridge and cover until rolls are ready.
10. Bake cinnamon rolls for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and spread cream cheese frosting on top. Garnish with chopped walnuts if desired.
Chef’s tip: To add more flavor and texture, mix walnuts or raisins into the filling.