Red Star Active Dry Yeast Description
Red Star® Active Dry Yeast is cake yeast in a semi-formant state.
The drying process in its manufacture moisture content, giving it a longer shelf life than cake yeast while retaining optimum activity. When activated, it provides ultimate baking activity in all yeast dough - low sugar to highly sweetened breads. Red Star Active Dry Yeast is designed for yeast-leavened bread and dough. The finished product will have the particular flavor, texture and consistency associated with a yeast-leavened product.
Honored with the ChefsBest® Award of Excellence
The ChefsBest Excellence Award is awarded to brands that surpass quality standards established by independent professional chefs.
0 Calories - 0 Fat - 0 Sodium
Approximately 2¼ tsp. equal one ¼ oz packet yeast. Use a thermometer to determine liquid temperatures:
Traditional Method: Dissolve 1 package of yeast in ¼ cup of warm tap water (110° - 115°F). Add ½ tsp. of sugar. Wait 5-10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
Mixed Method: Blend yeast with flour and other dry ingredients.
Warm liquids to 120° - 130°F.
Bread Machine: Use liquids at 80°F.
Please refrigerate or freeze after opening. Use within 4 months after opening.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Yeast, sorbitan monostearate.
The product packaging you receive may contain additional details or may differ from what is shown on our website. We recommend that you reference the complete information included with your product before consumption and do not rely solely on the details shown on this page. For more information, please see our full disclaimer
Homemade Pita Bread
Pita, a round flatbread popular in Mediterranean cuisine, is slightly puffy, soft, a bit chewy and can be used in many wonderful ways. Dip it into freshly made chickpea hummus
, use it as a base for pizza
, wrap up your favorite veggies or meats into a sandwich, or even toast it into triangles to make chips. One thing is a constant – pita is easy to make at home and so satisfying warm out of the skillet. You knead
to try your hand at this simple bread!
Homemade Pita Bread
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp. yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (+ more for dusting)
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- In large mixing bowl, stir together water, yeast and sugar until dissolved.
- Add ½ cup flour and whisk. Let rest uncovered in location slightly above room temperature for 15 minutes or until bubbles form.
- Mix in salt, olive oil and remaining flour until stringy.
- Knead mixture in bowl until batter forms, around 1 minute.
- Dust flat surface. Knead dough on surface for 2 minutes or until smooth ball forms. Cover with towel and let rest 10 minutes. Knead again a few minutes until slightly more moist.
- In clean mixing bowl, place ball of dough and cover entirely with light coating of olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour until dough doubles in size.
- Once risen, place dough on dusted flat surface and divide into roughly eight equal pieces; shape into balls.
- Use floured rolling pin to flatten each ball into ¼-inch-thick circle. Lift and turn dough to prevent sticking to surface. (Note: Keep dough circles covered with damp towel while cooking individual pieces.)
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, then drizzle in olive oil. Place one dough circle onto skillet and cook for 45 seconds or until bubbles form. Using spatula, flip and cook for 1 minute.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
Grab all the ingredients you knead!