You don't have to sacrifice flavor to maintain a low-carb lifestyle! Explore more than 1,000 keto diet products at Vitacost, including MCT oil, flour alternatives, beef jerky, protein powders and more.
What is a Keto Diet?
Unlike many other diets, the keto diet focuses on consuming fats and protein and restricting carbohydrates rather than counting calories. This method of eating forces the body into ketosis, a normal metabolic state in which the liver converts dietary fatty acids into small molecules called ketones, which accumulate in the bloodstream and reduce blood sugar (glucose). This causes the body to turn to fat (instead of carbs) for fuel and generally results in weight loss.
5 Tips for Following a Keto Diet
- 1. Change your mindset: Focus on foods that you enjoy that also fit into the diet. You can still eat animal proteins, vegetables and healthy fats like avocados, nuts, seeds and olives. Make a list of the foods that you love and are allowed to eat. Then spend time online collecting recipes that fit the keto diet, like this whole-roasted cauliflower, and use your favorite foods.
- 2. Eat fewer times per day: Intermittent fasting can play a helpful role in your ketogenic diet. Note that adding this extra change – in addition to the diet – takes a bit more effort. Try this variation after you’ve begun adjusting to the new food options and amounts. If you decide to try intermittent fasting, consult with a health professional to make sure you’re getting enough nutrients at each meal.
- 3. Become a master prepper: Preparing food ahead of time makes it easier to stick with and manage the diet in your busy day-to-day life. It also keeps things exciting. You may need to update your food storage container stash with different sizes and shapes so you can fit all your meals in your fridge. Look for BPA-free, eco-friendly and kid-friendly options.
- 4. Go slow and steady: Excited to get started? Don’t let that excitement push you too far too fast. If you start to struggle or become frustrated, you’re more likely to give up everything you’ve already worked toward. Try aiming for a lower carb count each week. To make this easier,track your food in a food journal to give you a better idea of what foods are contributing to your carbohydrate totals, allowing you to experiment with how to replace them in a manageable and sustainable way.
- 5. Drink more water: The keto diet can leave you feeling sluggish and fatigued thanks to the loss of electrolytes through urination. The tricky part is this can also lead to reduced levels of magnesium, which is considered an energy mineral—further depleting your energy levels. To stay alert throughout the day, HYDRATE. If water isn’t your thing, check out these 5 tips for staying hydrated if you don’t like to drink water. You can also get a big water bottle and bring it with you everywhere you go.
8 Keto Products to Try at Vitacost
If the keto diet sounds like the solution you’ve been seeking, you’re in luck! Here are eight essentials for anyone following this popular plan:
Shop the Best Keto Diet Products at Vitacost
If you’ve jumped on the keto diet train, you’ve come to the right place! At Vitacost, we pride ourselves on providing the highest-quality wellness products – including keto friendly foods, sports nutrition and supplements – for you and your family at prices that fit your budget. We offer promotional prices and exclusive discounts that you won't find anywhere else online.