Vegan Celery Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1-½ tsp. baking powder
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1-¼ cups almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. vegan butter (melted)
- 5 cups organic powdered sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbsp. almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prep 12-well cupcake pan with liners and spray.
- In measuring cup, mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar until well combined; let sit 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Add milk-ACV mixture, vegan butter and vanilla. Using spatula, mix until everything is well combined and smooth with no lumps visible. (Note: Do not overmix.)
- Fold in finely chopped celery.
- Scoop batter into liners until 3/4 full and bake at 400 degrees F for the first 5 minutes only. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking another 14-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once done, turn off oven and keep cupcakes inside with oven door slightly open for about 2 minutes before removing.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- In large bowl, using mixer, beat together powdered sugar and softened vegan butter until pea-sized crumbles form.
- Beat in lemon extract, lemon zest and milk until creamy and fluffy. (Note: If too thin, add additional powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time; if too thick, add additional almond milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time.)
- Add frosting to piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest or dried parsley, if desired.