Calzones. Burritos. Spring rolls. Some of the most wonderful foods have one thing in common: they’re enclosed, encased or wrapped up in something delicious! Whether it’s dough, tortilla or rice paper you’re biting into, there’s just something magical about getting through that outer layer, the ingredients oozing out to greet your tastebuds. Stromboli is no exception — and although this type of turnover is typically filled with cold cuts, veggies and cheese, there’s no reason you can’t switch up a few ingredients to turn it into a morning meal! Because who wouldn’t want their omelette encased in pizza crust?
Breakfast Stromboli ingredients:
• 16 oz pizza crust mix
• 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 onion, chopped (or 1/8 cup dried onion powder)
• 5 eggs
• 2/3 cups Colby jack cheese
• 1/8 cup green onions, diced
Breakfast Stromboli directions:
1. Prepare pizza dough as directed and set aside.
2. In large skillet, add onion and bell pepper and cook for five minutes.
3. Stir in ground sausage and cook until browned.
4. Crack four eggs into mixture and stir until scrambled.
5. On a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, roll out pizza dough into large rectangle.
6. Sprinkle cheese lengthwise down middle of dough.
7. Spoon cooked sausage mixture on top of cheese.
8. Sprinkle with more cheese and green onions.
9. Cut equal slits on each side of mixture (with the overhanging dough). Begin folding over each slit to create a “braid” over dough.
10. Whisk egg and brush as an egg wash onto braided dough.
11. Bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes, until top is golden and cheese is melted.