An all-American classic, apple crisp is a fall favorite that’s easy enough for anyone to make. The steps couldn’t be simpler: chop your apples, mix up a crumbly topping, sprinkle it on and bake. Unlike other recipes, this one’s gluten free and can be made vegan easily (just swap out the honey for a few drops of vanilla-flavored liquid stevia). In fact, you can leave out the sweetener altogether if you use a sweeter apple—try Gala instead of green Granny Smiths.
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp for Two
1 medium sweet (Gala or similar), chopped
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. lemon juice + ½ tsp. lemon zest
Optional: 2 drops liquid vanilla stevia or 1 tsp. raw honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For filling, mix chopped apple with remaining filling ingredients: cinnamon, vanilla, salt, lemon, lemon zest and optional sweetener.
- Divide apple filling and pour into two ramekins.
- For topping, combine together instant hot cereal with remaining topping ingredients: vanilla, cinnamon, salt, oil and optional sweetener.
- Divide topping and sprinkle half on each ramekin with apple filling.
- Bake apple crisps for 15-20 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Remove from oven when apples are bubbling.
- Wait at least 10 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy with coconut milk ice cream.