Got a big bash planned for the Fourth of July? Amp up your festivities and add dog treats to your list of red, white and blue snacks. Take a break from grilling and bake up these quick snacks for you pup. This is a fun project for kids, and it can help give your dog something fun to focus on once the fireworks start. Made with only 5 ingredients, these homemade dog treats are full of healthy fiber, fats and protein. They’re a festive way to add extra nutrition to Fido’s diet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together banana, sunflower butter and oat flour until doughy. Mixture will be a little dry.
- Flour a dry, clean surface with additional oat flour and coat your hands. Roll out dough to 1/4 – 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out cookies with bone-shaped cookie cutter (or any other kind you have). Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned. Once done, place in freezer until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with red food coloring until thoroughly combined and bright red. In a separate bowl, mix remaining yogurt with blue food coloring and mix until blue.
- Remove chilled cookies from freezer and dip one end in red mixture and the opposite end in blue mixture.
- Free treats again until yogurt has set.
Note: If you don’t have oat flour, make your own by grinding up rolled oats in a food processor.