If you love eggplant parmigiana but your diet plan no longer allows the breading and cheese, we’ve got you covered. These eggplant roll-ups serve up the same hearty Italian flavors you love, such as garlic, basil and oregano, but they’re gluten-free, and the Parmesan is totally optional. Italian night can be just as healthy as any other night when you’ve got the right recipe up your sleeve!
8 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1-1/2 tsp. basil
1-1/2 tsp. oregano
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. ground Italian sausage, cooked
1 lb. eggplant (2 small or 1 large)
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut eggplant, lengthwise, into thin slices and place between two paper towels. Let sit for approximately 2 hours, or until moisture has evaporated. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and kosher salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In medium pot, combine tomato sauce, bay leaves and all remaining spices and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add in cooked sausage toward end of the 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce onto wider end of each eggplant slice and roll up. Arrange rolls in 9”x13” baking dish. If there is leftover sauce, drizzle it over rolls. If using, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.