Chocolate doesn’t always take the cake. Some taste buds actually prefer tart, fruity or tangy. It’s not as far-fetched as you may think. These elements can create a perfectly balanced treat that has you puckering your lips and opening your eyes to another definition of sweet. Lemon bars are a prime example. They’re creamy and rich like the best chocolate mousse you’ve ever had, but you won’t forget that tangy punch. If you’re trying to convince a chocoholic, present them with this protein-rich recipe. It raises the (dessert) bar for everyone.
Lemon Cream Protein Bars
Makes 16 bars
Macros per bar: 106 calories | 6.1 g protein | 9.4 g carbs | 5.8 g fat | 0 g sugar | 1.2 g fiber
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat an 8” x 8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all crust ingredients, except coconut oil. Blend until pine nuts turn into a flour consistency.
- Pour in coconut oil and stir until well combined. It should become crumbly. Spoon crust mixture into prepared baking dish. Using your fingers, press mixture down until it completely covers the bottom of the dish.
- Bake crust 15 minutes. Remove and let cool while you prepare the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all filling ingredients until smooth. Pour mixture over baked crust.
- Return dish to oven and bake another 16 – 20 minutes. Let cool in fridge at least 3 hours. Slice into 16 even squares and enjoy!