Prepping brunch for a bunch? Everyone loves scrambled eggs and pancakes, but you’ll have to churn them out in batches and stacks (unless you have a really big stove!). Instead, whip up a dish that comes together easily, so you can mingle with mimosas rather than standing stove-side, stuck to a skillet. This breakfast classic combines healthy favorites – eggs and spinach – with heat and richness from cayenne and paprika, plus sweetness from red bell peppers. Using pre-made pastry crust makes assembly easy as pie.
1 refrigerated pie pastry, single crust
1/2 cups low-fat shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cups 2% fat cottage cheese
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 pkg.(10-oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cups chopped green onions (use tops & bulbs)
2 egg whites
2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cups milk
1 tsp. organic paprika
1/2 tsp. organic nutmeg
1 tsp. alder smoked salt
1/4 tsp. organic cayenne
1/2 tsp. organic black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In 9-inch pie pan, arrange pastry crust. Bake crust for 10 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove crust from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Follow package directions to cook spinach; drain.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil. Add red pepper and green onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together milk, eggs, egg whites, Swiss cheese, cottage cheese, cayenne, nutmeg, paprika, black pepper and smoked salt until combined.
- Arrange spinach and green onions/red pepper mixture in pie crust, then pour in egg mixture.
- Bake quiche for 35 to 45 minutes, until mixture is set and top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.