What do ketchup bottles, your favorite liquid foundation and cupcakes have in common? By turning them upside down, you get the most bang for your buck. How that applies to cupcakes may not be as crystal clear, but it does make sense. In this pineapple upside down cake, the goal is getting fruit on top of a spongy dough without creating a sunken sweet. It works only because you bake them fruit-face down. Add a boost of protein, and these cupcakes really turn dessert on its head.
Makes 3 jumbo cupcakes
Macros per cupcake: 155 calories | 13. 7 g net carbs | 8.3 g protein
1/2 scoop Andrea’s Protein Cakery Whey Protein for Baking (or unflavored protein powder)
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
3 Tbsp. granular eryhtritol
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/3 cup cashew milk
1 jumbo egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon
8 oz. pineapple chunks, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a jumbo muffin pan with coconut oil spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, except pineapple and cherries. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Arrange pineapple chunks in a circle in three muffin wells. Add a cherry in the middle of each circle.
- Pour batter over fruit, filling about three-quarters up. Bake about 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and garnish with whipped topping, if desired.