Stacked deli sandwiches and hot-off-the-grill burgers wouldn’t be the same without a crunchy pickle on your plate. But besides serving as a crisp, cool condiment, these green gifts from nature offer nutrition like no other picnic side dish. Thanks to the process of fermentation, ordinary cucumbers become an extraordinary source of probiotics—the same healthy bacteria found in yogurt.
- In a quart-sized jar, arrange whole cucumbers.
- Pour in remaining ingredients, making sure water level is ½” below top of jar rim. Cover jar.
- Set aside jar at room temperature for three to five days.
- Store pickles in refrigerator indefinitely.
- Enjoy as a snack, in salads, as a side dish or in stir-fry dishes.