Grilling: it’s not only one of the easiest methods of cooking but one of the oldest. Recall that your ancestors used to cook outside over a fire the same way you do when you’re camping in the woods. It’s one of the most treasured pastimes during the summer months, which is exactly why this recipe is a winner, winner, chicken dinner. Not to mention, the dish offers the sweet flavors of citrus and spicy kick of red chili flakes. More than that, you get the joy of meal prepping under the stars with much-needed fresh air – a combo that never gets old.
1 Meyer lemon, juiced & rind reserved
1 blood orange, juiced & rind reserved
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. red chili flakes
Kosher salt to taste
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs*
- In a food processor, add first 6 ingredients and blend to combine.
- Rub marinade over chicken and under skin. Place chicken in glass dish, cover and refrigerate 6-12 hours.
Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Oil and heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on grill and cook 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking 4-5 minutes. Once internal temperature of chicken has reached 150 degrees F, remove from grill.
- Place chicken on plate, cover with foil and let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Check internal temperature again, making sure it has reached 160 degrees F.
- Serve with a salad or grilled vegetables.
*Preferably chicken from a pasture-fed source