Dried beans have so much appeal—they’re inexpensive, store easily and last an exceptionally long time on a pantry shelf. The only drawback is in their prep, as some need to be soaked overnight (a process that not only helps them to cook more evenly and prevents splitting but also enhances their digestibility and nutrient absorption). If you’re planning a crockpot meal, you’re already thinking ahead. While setting beans in a water bath the night before, gather the ingredients for this simple chili. In the morning, toss everything into the slow cooker, and dinner will be ready when you get home at the end of the day! This dish is loaded with healthy kidneys and pintos, plus sweet potato chunks, chicken, coconut milk and spices for sweet and savory flavor.
Two-Bean Sweet Potato & Chicken Crockpot Chili
Makes 8 servings
1lb. chicken breasts
1 cup uncooked pinto beans
1 cup uncooked dark red kidney beans
28 oz. salt-free diced tomatoes in juice
13.5 oz canned light coconut milk
2 cups water
2 sweet potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup yellow onion, grated
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
Garnish: 1 bunch freshly chopped cilantro
- In separate bowls of water, soak pinto and kidney beans overnight. (Note: Make sure water completely covers beans by 2 inches as they will expand while soaking.)
- Drain and rinse beans well; add to crockpot.
- Pour diced tomatoes, coconut milk and water over beans. Add diced sweet potato and grated onion.
- Add spices to crockpot, except for salt which will be added at the end. (Beans need to cook through before adding salt.)
- Stir ingredients to combine, then add in chicken breasts, whole.
- Cover chili and cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are cooked completely.
- Stir in salt to taste and remove chicken breasts and shred. Add shredded chicken back to crockpot then serve.
- Garnish each serving with freshly chopped cilantro.
Nutrition info: 337 calories; 5 grams fat; 42 grams carbs; 7 grams fiber; 7 grams sugar; 29 grams protein