Turkey’s certainly off the Thanksgiving menu for plant-based foodies. But what other traditional favorites must go? Green bean casserole, made with milk, creamy mushroom sauce and sometimes bacon, is a major no-no. Unless you make this version, that is! Combining a few vegan staples, like Coconut Cream Sauce, vegan butter and Sunflower-Hemp Parmesan, this dish might just be a new classic that’s passed down from generation to generation.
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/8 cup + 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
8 cups green beans, rinsed with ends cut off
1 yellow onion, sliced in 1/2-inch thick half-moons
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Vegan Sunflower-Hemp Parmesan, optional
Cream of Mushroom Sauce
Coconut Cream Pasta Sauce
16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
Vegan butter or alternative
- To make mushroom sauce, prepare Coconut Cream Pasta Sauce sauce according to recipe directions.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium heat, sauté mushrooms with vegan butter for about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- In a high-speed blender, combine sautéed mushrooms with coconut sauce. (If you prefer chunkier sauce, blend only half of the mushrooms, adding the rest as whole slices.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Store in fridge until needed or up to 5 days.
- Prepare the casserole. In a large pot of boiling water, cook green beans for 4-5 minutes. Drain water and set aside when done.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add onions, evenly spreading them out. Cook for about 15-20, flipping every 3-4 minutes to prevent caramelization. If they’re browning too quickly, lower heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss sautéed onions with flaxseed meal, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. In a separate large bowl, combine green beans and mushroom sauce and mix until fully coated.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, evenly spread out green bean mixture. Top with breaded onions and Vegan Sunflower-Hemp Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until is lightly golden brown. (If top browns too quickly, remove pan from oven and cover with foil.) Broil for 1-2 minutes to make the top extra crispy.