There’s a pizza baking in the oven and it’s vegan and gluten free. Oh yeah! Instead of dough and greasy cheese, in this recipe, you get a tasty Portobello handheld stuffed with marinara sauce, kale, your favorite toppings and vegan cheese. If you’re a plant-strong foodie who once considered pizza a necessary food group, this delicious dish will satisfy your cravings without destroying your diet. Enjoy!
Vegan Portobello Pizza Bites
3 Tbsp. marinara sauce (or other pizza sauce of your choice)
½ Tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil
2 cups kale, torn into shreds
6 medium Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 medium tomato, diced
1/8 cup yellow onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking pan with parchment paper.
- Scrape out the inside of the mushroom and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add tomatoes and onions and cook for a few minutes before adding marinara sauce. Add shredded kale and cook for five minutes more.
- Remove mushrooms from oven. Use a towel or paper towel to absorb the mushroom juice inside the cap.
- Scoop out the marinara mixture and pour into each mushroom cap. Top each with vegan cheese and any additional toppings you’d like.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese has melted.