Loaded with veggie goodness, this flavorful chili warms, comforts and truly nourishes. It comes together in one pot (oh! The aroma!) with chickpeas, bell peppers, zucchini and tomatoes, and is easily customizable with your favorite vegetables and spices. Try it with Argentinian aji molido, a subtly spicy ground red chile with hints of smoke. Make it your own, play, have fun and bring everyone to the table to eat heartily!
Warming Chickpea Chili
- 2-3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 medium white onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 3 cans (45 oz.) chickpeas rinsed, or 1 lb. dry chickpeas, cooked
- 3 cups canned peeled whole tomatoes with juices
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock or water
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- Pinch oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder or Argentinian aji molido
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 whole scallions sliced thin, for garnish
In large pot, sauté onion, garlic and bell peppers in oil 2-3 minutes; add cumin, paprika, oregano and chili powder and mix well. Cook 3-4 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas, zucchini, vegetable stock/water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer.
Add peas, lower heat and cover partially. Allow to simmer 30-40 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve with sprinkle of scallions.