If you thought eating gluten free meant a life without crust, think again. This eggplant casserole is made with a gluten-free cracker crust that’s sure to please. It’s a hearty and healthy one-dish wonder!
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pot over low to medium heat and toss in the onions to begin caramelizing. (Hint: this can be a long process - up to 45 minutes - but let the onions caramelize gradually so as not to overcook them.)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Slice eggplant into 1-inch cubes and place in 8”x8” baking dish. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes, or until eggplant begins to shrivel.
- Coat the roasted eggplant with 1/4 cup of the cornmeal. Top with caramelized onions, chopped olives and basil. Make sure to evenly distribute the toppings. Then, sprinkle the remaining cornmeal on top of that.
- Pour the tomatoes into the casserole and shake the dish to settle any liquid.
- Bake for another 25 minutes (still at 400 F).
- While it’s baking, prepare the cracker casserole crust. In a medium bowl, crush the crackers until the size of pebbles. Add garlic and remaining olive oil to bind the mixture.
- When the timer goes off, top the casserole with cracker crust and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the crackers turn a darker brown. Be careful not to burn the crackers.
- Let cool for a few minutes before you “crack” into the casserole. Enjoy!