When you think “homemade jam,” you probably envision about hours of prep, expensive canning supplies and tons of sugar. Packed with protein and fresh fruit flavor, this chia creation requires none of the above! With just 4 ingredients and 3 simple steps, you’ll be spreading the love in no time.
Easy Homemade Chia Seed Jam
Makes 12 servings; use as a spread for toast and crackers, a topping for waffles or a filling for sandwiches
**Honey is not considered vegan; for vegan jam, use maple syrup for this ingredient.
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and stir constantly so chia seeds do not burn.
- When the mixture has thickened and the fruit is entirely broken down (about 10 minutes), let cool, and then place in a glass jar and cool completely before refrigerating.
(Note: The jam is ready to eat immediately, but refrigerating it overnight improves consistency. Serve on gluten-free rolls, or use as a garnish for a special dessert!)
1. Use blueberries for blueberry chia seed jam.
2. Use blackberries for blackberry chia seed jam.
3. Use raspberries for raspberry blueberry chia seed jam.
4. Use mulberries for mulberry blueberry chia seed jam.
5. Use cranberries for cranberry blueberry chia seed jam.
6. Use 1/4 cup each of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries for mixed berry chia seed jam.