Got a muffin top? Good! Because that’s the best part. The slightly crisp, unexplainably sweeter top is why your mouth waters when it sees a muffin. But in case you need more reason to enjoy the top first, these lemon-blueberry muffins give you one. They’re capped off with a bounty of berries and a heavy sprinkling of pistachios, so you know there’s going to be a sweet-salty flavor at first bite. You’ll hear a crunch but feel a pillow-soft cake and juicy fruit bursting in your mouth. It’s the kind of muffin top you’ve always wanted.
Makes 14 muffins
Macros per muffin: 200 calories | 5.1 g protein | 25.2 g carbs | 11 g fat | 1.3 g sugar | 2.5 g fiber
3/4 cup Vitacost Xylitol
1/2 cup ghee, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sprouted whole wheat flour
1 scoop ARO Vanilla Whey Protein Complex PLUS
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, add xylitol and ghee. Using a hand mixer, beat until light and fluffy.
3. With mix on low speed, add one egg at a time and mix well.
4. Add cashew milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth and well combined.
5. In a separate large bowl, sift together flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir just to combine (no dry flour visible). Pro tip: be careful not to overmix your batter, or you risk having dry muffins.
7. Fold in blueberries to incorporate.
8. Pour batter into muffin wells, filling each about 2/3 full.
9. Sprinkle chopped pistachios over each muffin.
10. Bake 20 – 24 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
11. Let muffins cool slightly in pan before removing and cooling further on a wire rack.