You might like dry wine. A dry sense of humor might tickle your funny bone. And, a slice of dry toast? It just might hit the spot when you’re under the weather. But when it comes to desserts, “dry” is certainly not the way to go. In this cake recipe, nut milk and extra virgin olive oil are added to form a sweet, savory and very moist cake. Similar to a sponge cake, this is one dessert you’ll scarf down with a spoon.
1 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla cashew or almond milk, carrageenan-free
3 chia/flax eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Pinch of pure stevia, to taste
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lime
1/4 cup boiling water
- To prepare puree, mash together figs and lime zest in a small bowl. Add boiling water to form a thick consistency.
- Prepare the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a cast iron skillet with coconut oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, milk, “eggs,” vinegar, vanilla, stevia, lemon juice and zest. Slowly add flours until blended. Fold in chopped almonds.
- Spoon mixture into greased skillet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with fig puree. If desired, drizzle your favorite nut milk over the cake before serving.