Everyone should spoon a cake at least once. No, that doesn’t mean cuddling with it (though that wouldn’t be frowned upon). It means take a spoon and dive into three layers of natural, creamy sweetness. From crust to crunchy hazelnuts, this cake is the raw-vegan recipe that sparks an instant love for dessert. Don’t be shy. Let the rich, nutty chocolate hug your taste buds as the sweet date crust kisses your lips. The spoon will be there to catch you when you fall.
1 cup dried mulberries
40 dates, pitted
3 ripe, frozen bananas
2 Tbsp. coconut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. water
2 ripe avocados
1 cup zucchini, roughly chopped
1/2 cup hazelnuts, soaked overnight & drained
6 Tbsp. almond butter
5 Tbsp. raw cacao
1 tsp. lucuma powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
Pinch of pink salt
- Line a 9-inch spring form with plastic wrap.
- In a food processor, add mulberries and process into a flour consistency.
- Add dates and process until doughy. Note: the mixture will be a bit crumbly but should stick together very well. You can check this by squeezing between your fingers.
- Spoon dough into spring form and use your fingers to press into one solid layer, spreading out to the edges.
- In a high-speed blender, combine bananas, coconut butter, vanilla and water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Spread layer on top of crust, using a spoon to spread out and cover the crust. Place in freezer while you prepare the chocolate layer.
- Rinse out the blender, and then add all chocolate layer ingredients. Add cacao powder and zucchini first to make it easier to blend. Process until smooth.
- Remove pan from freezer and check if the first two layers are set. Use a spoon to poke gentle on the top layer. If hard and solid enough, spoon the chocolate layer over the vanilla layer, spreading out evenly.
- Decorate with hazelnuts, berries and coconut shreds, if desired.