Mushrooms are the “it” superfood right now, which means reishi is all the rage! Listed as a “superior tonic” according to traditional Chinese medicine, these ‘shrooms were believed to bolster overall well-being and prevent signs of aging. You can add this restorative superfood to smoothie bowls, teas, coffee and so much more—including these nutrient-dense mini doughnuts!
Topped with an organic, 8-ingredient vanilla frosting combined with raw beet powder, these fluffy bites are perfect for Valentine’s Day and beyond.
Mini Chocolate Reishi Dougnuts with Vanilla-Beet Frosting
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 1 cup Navitas Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Navitas Cacao Powder
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Vitacost Organic Coconut Oil or Fourth & Heart Ghee, melted
- 1 tsp. Vitacost Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. OM Organic Reishi Mushroom Powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp. Redmond Real Sea Salt
In large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
In medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
Transfer dough to large resealable bag. Snipe off one corner.
In greased mini electric doughnut maker or mini doughnut pan, pipe dough until each well is about 2/3 full. Cook according to doughnut maker or pan directions. Note: Electrical doughnut maker should take around 2 minutes. Flip if needed and cook 1 more minute. Mini doughnut pan should take 10-12 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Set donuts on a wire rack to cool while you prepare frosting.
In bowl, mix frosting and beet root powder until light pink. Frost each donut and top with sprinkles and/or other desired toppings.
- Keep in mind you may have to cook a few batches depending on the size of your doughnut maker or pan.
- Use wooden skewer to easily flip and remove donuts. Poke into doughnut and gently flip to keep hands safe from burns.
Gather all of these ingredients here: