From after school snacking to charming a small gathering, these pizza bites do it all. Using slices of perfectly roasted sweet potato in place of crust, they’re a nutritious, delicious and versatile treat. The pecan pesto comes together in minutes and adds a burst of color and flavor to each slice. Garnish them with variations of pesto, fresh mozzarella, orange bell pepper and any of your other favorite pizza toppings to find your favorite flavor combinations.
Roasted Sweet Potato Pesto Pizza Bites
- Orange bell pepper sliced
- Fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- Fresh basil chopped
- Unsalted pecans chopped
- Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Coat both sides of sweet potato slices with avocado oil; arrange on sheet pan. Lightly sprinkle each with coconut sugar. Bake 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in food processor or heavy-duty blender, combine pesto ingredients. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down sides a few times.
Top each sweet potato slice with desired toppings. Return to oven; continue cooking 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- For a vegan-friendly version, omit or substitute cheese.
- The pesto makes 24 servings (about 3 cups). Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. It’s excellent on pasta, with chicken or in sandwiches.
- Other suitable toppings include olives, red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and other kinds of cheeses.