Whether you’re gentle, delicate dipper or a forceful dunker, the time has come to take your homemade tortilla chips for a walk, dip or dunk on the vegan side. Forgo greasy, dairy-packed sauces and dive into this gluten-free, oil-free, vegan cheese sauce. If you’re allergic to nuts or not a fan of soy, fret not! This dunkable goodness is easily modified to suit your specific preferences – variations included below!
1 (12 oz.) block silken tofu
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. white miso paste or chickpea miso
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- In high-speed blender, combine and process all ingredients until smooth.
- To heat, transfer to pot and cook over low heat. Or, serve as is.
- Use for mac and cheese, nachos, baked potatoes, dip and so much more!
- For a spicy or nacho-style queso version: after blending, fold in 10 oz. can (drained) diced tomatoes with green chilies, minced jalapeno and an addition teaspoon paprika.
- For a nut-free version: omit cashews and add hemp seeds and additional sunflower seeds.
- For a soy-free version: omit tofu and add more nuts and seeds.