Surprise, surprise. You come home from work hungry and with a house full of hungry. Yet, no one bothered to start dinner yet. Here’s an idea: make a pot of easy-peasy, three-cheese tortellini. You’ll get it on the table in about 30 minutes, at which point everyone will be in awe of your Italian creation. Though this perfect-on-a-cold-day dish is hearty by definition, it’s not heavy. The rich creaminess comes from a few dollops of protein-packed Greek yogurt. But maybe that’s a surprise you keep to yourself.
1 package (8.8 oz.) Delallo Three Cheese Tortellini
1 lb. ground sausage (optional)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 large can (28 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a skillet or saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute 5-10 minutes, or until onion softens.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried herbs, yogurt, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, cook ground sausage until no longer pink and heated through.
- Once sauce mixture begins boiling, add tortellini. Reduce heat and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in sausage (if using) and serve with chopped fresh basil and Parmesan.