Autumn is in the air and the subtle aroma of pumpkin spice is everywhere (and we’re definitely not complaining!). Revolutionize your taste buds with this fall-inspired coffee cake made with pumpkin and ginger. Pair with a hot cup of java, cold brew or calming tea for a sweet, well-rounded snack.
It’s also important to note that pumpkin is a popular seasonal flavor – for sure – but this beta-carotene-rich gourd is also a prize pick that supports your health as well. It’s low in calories, packed with fiber and rich in vitamins A, C and E. Need we say more? Let’s get baking!
Pumpkin-Ginger Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Organic Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Redmond Real Salt Ancient Fine Sea Salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. Simply Organic Pumpkin Spice
- 2 tsp. Vitacost Organic Ground Ginger or fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. Vitacost Organic Turmeric
Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
In bowl, combine coconut oil, melted butter and sugar. Whisk until smooth. Stir in egg, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, ginger and turmeric. Whisk to combine.
In large bowl, combine both wet and dry mixtures. Fold in canned pumpkin to form batter. Pour batter into 8 x 8-in. baking pan and set aside.
In small bowl, combine all streusel ingredients. Gently use fingers to combine until crumbly texture forms.
Layer streusel on top of batter and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- *For the streusel topping, if butter is too dry, add a few tablespoons of coconut oil to soften and add flavor.
- Not a fan of streusel? Enjoy this coffee cake plain, or spread on a generous layer of pumpkin butter.
- Order the ingredients you need to make this recipe at Vitacost.com.