Packed with beneficial vitamins and minerals, coconut milk is a versatile dairy alternative that transforms ordinary rice pudding into a heavenly creamy treat. Enjoy this dish fresh and warm, or refrigerate overnight for a chilled treat. Garnish with fruit, shredded coconut and a dash of cinnamon.
Vegan Coconut Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Delallo Arborio Risotto Rice
- 1/4 tsp. Redmond Real Salt Ancient Fine Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar + 1/4 cup for extra sweetness
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth Organic Raisins
- 5 cups cold water
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla beans
- 1 tsp. Vitacost Organic Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lime peel
- 2 cups Native Forest Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk or cream
In stainless steel 3-qt. saucepan, combine risotto rice, water, salt, lime peel and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil and stir constantly (to prevent stickiness) until water is fully absorbed and rice is soft and tender (not mushy); roughly 25 minutes.
Turn heat to simmer. Stir in coconut milk or cream, sugar, vanilla and coconut oil. Add raisins. Continue to mix, gently, to avoid sticking.
On low simmer, reduce liquid for 10-15 minutes until mixture becomes silky and creamy. Garnish with cinnamon and dried coconut flakes and serve warm or refrigerate to enjoy a chilled treat.
- If using a regular long-grain rice, rinse rice 2 to 3 times before cooking.
- Refrigerate rice pudding in sealed glass container up to five days.
- Order the ingredients you need to make this recipe at Vitacost.com.