Some things are just meant to be paired together – pancakes and syrup, chips and dip, or best of all, chocolate and cherries. These black forest-inspired brownies are moist, cake-like and bursting with tart cherries that absolutely pop with flavor. Made with coconut sugar, coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup, the from-scratch treats are made with wholesome ingredients you simply won’t find in a boxed mix. Make a fun variation by swapping out cherries for strawberries or figs, or make the recipe vegan by using flax eggs.
- 1 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor
- 1/2 tsp. Redmond Real Salt Ancient Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pHresh Products Organic Cacao Powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup Vitacost Certified Organic Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Flour All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries or dried cherries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Grease 8" square pan or 9" round pan.
In saucepan over medium heat, stir together coconut sugar, buttery coconut oil and salt until sugar melts.
In large bowl, mix together sugar mixture, vanilla, cacao, maple syrup and eggs until well combined.
Blend in flour and baking powder. Stir in cherries.
In prepared pan, pour batter. Bake for 23 minutes, until fork inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool for 15 minutes.