Whether it’s your pupper’s birthday or National Spoil Your Dog Day, this dog cake recipe is easy to make and includes a handful of wholesome ingredients. Egg free, the recipe is packed with all-natural flavors your furry friend loves, such as peanut butter and applesauce. The creamy, colorful frosting is a mixture of instant potatoes, a little Greek yogurt and blueberries. It may be fun for you to make, but it’s even more fun for Fido to eat!
Dog Cake Recipe
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Calories 98 kcal
- 1-3/4 cup whole oat flour
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter natural
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- Optional: ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. water warmed (separated)
- 4 Tbsp. blueberries pureed
Optional: Decorative additions like dog treats, blueberries and crushed peanuts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray or grease 2 6” round cake pans.
To prepare flax egg, combine flaxseed meal and water. Let sit 5 minutes or until congealed. Set aside until ready to add wet ingredients.
In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Divide batter equally between pans and tap gently to spread and remove air bubbles.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean.
Let rest in pan one minute before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
Puree blueberries until smooth.
In stand mixer, combine instant potato flakes and 1/2 cup warm water. Mix until combined. (Note: Consistency will be crumbly.)
Add yogurt, blueberry puree and 2 Tbsp. water. Blend until creamy and smooth. (Note: You’ll want this to be the consistency of regular cake frosting.)
Frost cake as desired and garnish with dog treats, fresh blueberries and crushed peanuts.
Frosting Flavor & Color
- For a deeper purple and more blueberry flavor, replace 2 Tbsp. water with more blueberry puree.
- For pink, swap out blueberries for strawberries. Add a bit of beet powder to deepen pink to red.
- Smashed banana can replace blueberries, but add a little water in order to achieve frosting consistency.
- For yellow, adding 1/4-1/2 tsp. turmeric.
Shelf-life & Storage
- Store cake in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze for 2+ months.
- Grab dog cake ingredients and more pet essentials at Vitacost.
Dog Cake Recipe
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories 98 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Trans Fat 0.001g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Vitamin A 14IU0%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.