Turmeric, the pungent spice that gives curry its signature yellow shade, has been used medicinally in India for thousands of years. And lately, it’s become a popular component in a bevy of beauty products, from face wash to shampoo and conditioner. After all, curcumin, its primary active ingredient, is both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory.
The powerful spice, which is taking the cosmetic industry by storm, is believed to boast a number of exciting beauty benefits. Turmeric may:
- Alleviate dry skin
- Calm and brighten skin
- Ward off acne and improve complexion
- Reduce acne scars and hyperpigmentation
- Minimize dark circles and puffiness around eyes
- Improve stretch marks
- Alleviate dandruff
- Whiten teeth
Try these turmeric treatments
Want to experience the benefits of turmeric for yourself? Who could blame you? Enhance your beauty regimen with these popular products containing the savory spice:
In addition to gentle cleansing, “this award-winning favorite is designed to even out skin, minimize pore size and clear away impurities with a fresh, luxurious, soft soap-free lather.” For use with normal-to-oily acne-prone skin, the organic, soap-free face wash does not contain artificial colors, fragrances, gluten, parabens, phthalates or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).
Seeking a luminous complexion? Apply this hypoallergenic serum to your clean face and neck in the morning and evening, prior to moisturizer, “for a lighter, tighter, brighter looking appearance.” Free of gluten and GMOs!
Want to balance, soothe and regulate your skin? This natural solution “refreshes skin while correcting and maintaining skin’s proper pH balance – thereby prompting healthy, nourished and conditioned skin.” In addition to turmeric, it contains the following natural botanicals: dandelion, calendula, fig and gooseberry.
Perfect for all hair types, this nourishing shampoo “contains powerful neem, cleansing African black soap, balancing turmeric, clarifying tea tree oil and invigorating rosemary that gently cleans and fortifies hair.” Free of animal ingredients, gluten and paraben, it’s a smart solution for dry scalp!
Made of sustainable wild-crafted ingredients, including “powerful neem, balancing turmeric, clarifying tea tree and protective shea,” this moisturizing conditioner is ideal for all hair types. Like its shampoo counterpart (see above) it is designed to combat dry scalp and contains no animal ingredients, gluten or paraben. Plus, funds from the company’s product sales help support a variety of empowerment projects in West Africa!
DIY turmeric beauty products
You can also combine turmeric with a few simple ingredients to create the following home remedies:
- Turmeric toothpaste: Mix half a tablespoon of coconut oil with two tablespoons of baking soda and four tablespoons of turmeric powder. Brush your teeth with the all-natural whitening combo for approximately three minutes and then rinse with water.
- Acne spot treatment: Combine equal parts honey and turmeric and apply to blemishes for approximately 20 minutes. Then rinse the mixture off with cold water.
- Dandruff treatment: Mix four tablespoons of coconut oil with half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and massage the solution into dry hair. Let it rest for approximately 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.
- Stretch mark paste: Combine a teaspoon of turmeric with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice and rub the mixture into stretch marks twice daily.