Swimsuit season is here. It’s also warmer outside, and the daylight hours are longer. If you’ve ramped up your workout routine for summer, there’s a good chance you’re on the fast track to fit—but you may also be battling more frequent bouts of muscle soreness. Luckily, there are plenty of safe, effective and natural products that can be applied topically to help you relieve the pain. Here are my top five picks.
Arnica (Arnica montana) is a plant with yellow flowers that’s native to Europe and grows in mountainous areas in the U.S., Canada and Europe. Made into to a gel that can be applied topically, arnica has a nice, cooling effect that for pain relieve and to ease stiffness. It’s 100% natural.
- Apply to sore muscle to relieve pain and stiffness
- Absorbs quickly, non-greasy and unscented
- Homeopathic formula, works naturally
- Free of parabens
Balms are thicker than gels and can provide deep-penetrating relief. They often consist of a variety of natural ingredients, such as beeswax, herbs and spices.
- Deep heat; penetrates and lasts
- Helps loosen tense muscles & relax away stiffness
- Made from organic plant extracts
- (Note: Because it contains cayenne pepper, be sure to wash your hands after all applications.)
Like arnica gel, other topical gels have cooling, soothing effects. There are many options made from herbs available as a natural solution for pian relief.
Try: Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Gel
- Homeopathic formula of flower essences
- Non-greasy and absorbs easily
- Provides relief for stress, stiff or tight muscles
For the ultimate in cooling, soothing relief, look for an analgesic product that contains ingredients that freeze away pain. Natural formulas contain potent plant ingredients that provide these effects when applied topically.
- Contains certified organic ilex flower, arnica, aloe vera and other natural ingredients
- Greaseless and non-staining
- No parabens of synthetic fragrances