Quick Potato Cakes
- 1-? cups Bob’s Red Mill Potato Flakes
- 1-½ cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup cold milk
- 1-1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
- Oil (butter or bacon fat for frying)
- In large saucepan over high heat, bring water to boil. Add butter and salt and remove from heat; pour in cold milk and gently stir in potato flakes. Fluff with fork and let sit 2–3 minutes to thicken. Stir again and let cool to a temperature at which working with hands is comfortable.
- To saucepan, add 1 cup flour and mix with hands to form rough dough. On well-floured work surface, place dough and knead until sturdy; add more flour if needed.
Separate dough into six equal portions; form patties (½-inch thickness, 4 inches in diameter). (Note: For squares cakes, pat dough to 6 x 9-inch rectangle, ½-inch thick. Cut six 3 x 3-inch cakes.)
In skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, bacon fat or oil. (Note: Use about 1 tablespoon per batch of cakes.) Fry cakes until well browned, about 8–10 minutes per side, working in batches if necessary. Serve hot.