Crispy Mushroom-Chive Dumplings With Sesame Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (divided (plus more, as needed))
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium shallot (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. brown rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/16 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 30-35 vegan wonton or dumpling wrappers
Sesame Scallion Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 large scallion (trimmed and thinly sliced on a diagonal (white and light green parts only))
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and fill small bowl or ramekin with water. Set aside.
- In large nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushrooms, cabbage, shallot, garlic and ginger. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add rice vinegar, salt, white pepper and chives. Stir and remove from heat. Transfer filling to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place dumpling wrapper on dry cutting board and scoop a heaping teaspoon of cooled filling in center of wrapper. Using your finger, lightly paint water around edges of wrapper. Fold each wrapper in half, corner to corner, to form a triangle shape. Pinch closed or lightly press edges with fork to seal. Place finished dumplings on prepared baking sheet and repeat until all filling is used.
- In large nonstock pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add dumplings, taking care to not overcrowd pan. (Note: Roughly 8-10 dumplings can cook in large pan at once).
- Cook one side for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip dumplings and cook additional 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer cooked dumplings to clean baking sheet. If necessary, add more oil to pan between batches.
- To make dipping sauce, whisk together tamari, brown rice vinegar, sesame oil, maple syrup and half of the sliced scallions in small bowl.
- Arrange cooked dumplings on serving platter and garnish with remaining sliced scallions. Serve hot with bowl of dipping sauce.