Everything about this recipe screams traditional—except for one ingredient. Instead of using canned baked beans, start with a blend of great northern beans and butter beans. Often used in chili recipes and white bean salads, this minor update adds major texture and flavor to this dish. Serve up this classic at your next summer cookout and pair with cornbread, burgers, grilled vegetables or a huge salad.
Oh, and if you like this recipe (but you like piggies, too) omit the bacon for a vegan-friendly alternative. Happy summer!
4 15-ounce cans Simple Truth Organic Great Northern Beans, rinsed & drained
2 15-ounce cans butter beans, rinsed & drained
8 bacon slices
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp. ground mustard
3 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 cups Simple Truth Organic Ketchup
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup dark molasses
2 teaspoons Simple Truth Organic Jalapeno Hot Sauce
1/2 cup water
Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In Dutch oven, or large and heavy ovenproof pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble or chop bacon and reserve grease.
- Add onion to bacon drippings in pot and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add dry mustard and thyme and stir 1 minute. Mix in ketchup, vinegar, molasses, water, bay leaf and beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bake in oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if mixture seems dry. Mix bacon into beans. Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaf. Mix in hot pepper sauce and serve.