There’s nothing like a grab-and-go breakfast when it comes to busy weekday (or hectic weekend) mornings. Instead of reaching for that sugary toaster pastry—or not eating anything at all—opt for a wholesome, filling homemade meal.
No time? No problem. These hearty vegan burritos can be easily prepared in advance. After cooking, let them cool, wrap them up in parchment paper and place in the freezer. Before you head out of the house, heat burrito in the oven (or microwave) and it’ll be ready to go by the time you’re finished getting ready.
If you have time to sit down, pair these bean- and veggie-filled burritos with homemade guacamole for dipping.
4 large whole wheat tortillas or wraps
1 sweet potato
1 small red onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
5 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed for 15 minutes to remove excess moisture
2 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup black beans
2 oz. spinach, chopped
1 tsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
3/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Slice sweet potato in 3 equal parts and pierce with fork all over. Bake 35 minutes or until completely cooked. When ready, remove skin, transfer potatoes to bowl and mash with fork. Add pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
- While potatoes cook, make filling. In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Once hot, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and red bell pepper. Cook for another 4 minutes. Add nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper and mix. Cook for 1 minute.
- Using your hands, crumble tofu and add to skillet. Mix in black beans. Add salt, black pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in spinach until well combined. Remove pan from heat.
- To assemble the burritos, divide mashed sweet potato mixture equally into 4 parts and layer on top of whole wheat tortillas. Drizzle sriracha on top. Spoon on veggie scramble.
- Add cilantro, diced avocado and fold the tortillas like a burrito. Enjoy with extra hot sauce!