Whether you follow a Paleo diet, eat gluten-free or stick to a vegan lifestyle, dark chocolate is an acceptable--and sometimes encouraged--indulgence. Because, let’s face it, eating “healthy” 24/7 is not always possible, and it helps to find better-for-you treats to satisfy your sweet tooth. Dark chocolate, packed with antioxidants and a good source of iron, magnesium and, fits the bill. Its deep, rich and slightly bitter flavor, however, might not be your cup of tea. Luckily, with a few healthy-foodie-approved additions like sweet potato, cashew milk and vanilla, you can tone down its intensity and create dense, fudgy treat perfect for any diet.
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 large sweet potato)
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
2 Tbsp. unsweetened vanilla macadamia nut milk
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
Stevia, to taste
1/8 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper, optional
Pinch of sea salt, optional
- Coat a shallow glass pan with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted chocolate chips, mashed sweet potato and cocoa powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer gooey mixture to prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Cover with saran wrap or wax paper and refrigerate approximately 4 hours.
- To serve, slice into bite-size cubes.