Tacos are not just for Tuesdays. With endless variations, versions and recipes, you could eat tacos every day of the week and come up with vastly different meals each time. Here’s one plant-based option you’ll definitely want to add to your vegan or vegetarian recipe bank. Chipotle vegetable slaw, cilantro, spicy broccoli “wings” and avocado sour cream are piled onto toasted tortillas for tacos unlike any you’ve ever had before. Fair warning: you'll probably want to eat these every day that ends in y.
1 cup gluten-free flour
1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
3 Tbsp. hot sauce
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
Dash chili powder
Pink salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup filtered water
Avocado Sour Cream
Hampton Creek Chipotle Just Mayo Spread
Shredded purple cabbage
Tortillas or wraps, toasted or heated, if desired
Cilantro, for garnish
Fresh lime wedges
Hot sauce, if desired
- First, prepare sour cream. In a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients and process until smooth, adjusting amount of water as needed to blend. Keep in fridge until ready to use.
- Prepare broccoli wings. Preheat oven to 445 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all wing ingredients except for broccoli. The texture will be thick like pancake batter. Dip each floret into batter, tapping off excess on side of bowl. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through baking.
- Meanwhile, prepare broccoli slaw. In a large bowl, combine shredded vegetables with a spoonful of chipotle mayo.
- To assemble tacos, add about 1/4 cup of slaw, 3-4 broccoli wings and cilantro. Drizzle with avocado sour cream and, if desired, add a few drops of hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.