Carbohydrates, fats, protein, vitamins, minerals and water. Your body requires all of these components to function and flourish. That’s why experts recommend a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and low-fat dairy (or dairy substitutes). But it can be very difficult to get all the nutrients you need through diet alone. That’s where supplements come in—preferably organic ones.
The skinny on supplements
You’re probably familiar with the term “dietary supplement.” After all, they have become increasingly popular in recent years as more people have begun to recognize the impact of proper nutrition on health and well-being. But what exactly are dietary supplements, and why are they so important?
Dietary supplements are tablets, capsules and even liquids that help provide nutrients and support health. They can help fill in gaps in your diet, providing vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you need but aren’t getting from the food you’re eating. Even though supplements aren’t technically “food,” they can be an important part of a healthy, balanced diet.
The advantages of organic
Not all supplements are created equal. Unlike synthetic supplements, which can contain chemical compounds that don't occur in nature, organic supplements are free of pesticides, insecticides and other toxic ingredients. They’re better for the body—and the environment.
Check the packaging
What should you look for when choosing organic supplements? The “USDA Organic” icon should appear on the product’s label, certifying that it contains 95% organic ingredients.
Dietary habits vary among individuals, but everyone requires a variety of vitamins and minerals to help achieve and maintain optimal health. For these reasons, there is a wide assortment of dietary supplements to choose from. Here are some popular types:
- Multivitamins: These are a great way to ensure that you’re getting the majority of the nutrients your body requires. Because men and women have different nutritional needs that change with age, look for an organic multivitamin formulated specifically for your age and gender, like these USDA organic, non-GMO certified, vegan multivitamins made from whole foods by Garden of Life:
- Mykind Organics Women's Once Daily Multivitamin: Made from over 30 fruits, veggies and herbs, this multi for women supports energy and metabolism, promotes heart health and helps maintain vibrant skin and nails.*
- Mykind Organics Men's Once Daily Multivitamin: This multi for men is composed of over 20 different fruits, vegetables and herbs. It supports metabolism and heart health and helps provide sustained energy.*
- Mykind Organics Women's Multi 40 Plus: Specifically formulated for women over 40, this multi contains extra nutrients to help support breast, hormone and heart health.*
- Mykind Organics Men's Multi 40 Plus: Made for men aged 41 and over, this multi includes additional nutrients to help support prostate health, heart health and healthy vision.*
- Perfect Food® RAW Organic Green Super Food: Made from 34 raw, nutrient-dense, organically grown sprouts, greens and vegetable juices, this supplement provides amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes, essential fatty acids and tons of beneficial phytonutrients. It’s a great way to ensure you get your daily dose of greens!
- Mykind Organics B-12 Spray Raspberry: This B-12 supplement supports energy, promotes concentration and helps support metabolism and heart health.*
- Mykind Organics Vegan D3 Spray Vanilla: This vitamin D3 supplement, which contains organic pumpkin and cranberry seed oils, helps support bone and immune system health.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip: the best place to buy organic foods & snacks is at Vitacost.com!