Is it possible to get that delicious, comforting mac and cheese flavor without pasta or cheese? We think yes! In this paleo take on traditional lobster mac and cheese, cauliflower replaces the noodles, and carrots, cashews, nutritional yeast and an array of spices create a savory, creamy sauce reminiscent of the popular cheesy one. Add in some lobster and you’ve got yourself a paleo dish so good you’ll want to make it every week.
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, full fat
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. sea salt, plus additional to taste
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 head cauliflower
1 cup carrots
4 – 6 oz. lobster meat, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in middle position.
- Trim leaves away from cauliflower head along stem, but leave head intact. Drizzle oil over cauliflower, rub it into the head and sprinkle with sea salt. In cast-iron skillet, place cauliflower (floret side up), cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake 40 to 50 minutes. Remove foil and roast an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- In medium pot, combine cashews and carrots and add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Drain pot.
- In food processor, combine cooked cashews and carrots, coconut milk, mustard, nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In skillet, chop roasted cauliflower into bite-size pieces, add lobster meat and coat with cashew-carrot puree. If desired, garnish with green onions or parsley.