Cranberry-Vanilla Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( or cake flour)
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 3 organic large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. almond milk
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
White chocolate buttercream
- 4-5 cups organic powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups + 1 Tbsp. organic heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8? cake pans with butter and lightly flour, or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high-speed, whisk together butter and sugar until fluffy and soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla, yogurt and milk; mix on medium speed until smooth. Add dry ingredients; mix until well combined being careful to not overmix. Gently fold in 3 cups cranberries.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans; spread evenly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean and centers are solid. Remove from oven; let cool about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pans to cool completely.
- In medium bowl, stir together 2 cups cranberries and sugar, tossing until well coated. Set aside.
- Place white chocolate chips in heat-safe mixing bowl.
- In small pot over medium-high heat, heat heavy cream until it begins to boil. Remove from heat; carefully pour over white chocolate chips. Whisk vigorously until smooth. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat 3/4 cups butter until smooth. Add melted white chocolate; beat until combined. Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- Using large knife or cake slicer, slice a thin layer of cake off tops of each cake to create flat surfaces.
- On cake stand, place first cake layer. Evenly cover top with buttercream. Top with second layer of cake; evenly cover top with buttercream. Spread remaining buttercream, evenly and thinly, over top and sides of cake.
- Once fully frosted, top with sugared cranberries, if desired. Chill 5 minutes to ensure buttercream sets.