So, you’re ready to cleanse your body and jumpstart your health? It feels incredible to take this leap, doesn’t it? It’s a chance to reestablish your healthy lifestyle or begin a new path towards one. And wait until you see and feel the results at the end of your cleanse. There’s nothing like it. But before you can dive in headfirst, there are four ways you can help prepare your body for a successful cleansing.
1. Create a Roadmap of Your Goals
Laying out your goals before you begin your cleanse is the first step to ensuring success.
The last thing you want is any little excuse to keep you from becoming the healthiest version of yourself. So, take some time to really think about your goals and expectations of your cleanse. Need a few helpful hints to get you started?
- Knowing your desired end results: Why did you decide a cleanse was right for you? What results do you envision for yourself? What do those results look like at the end of the finish line? While some people want to lose weight, others want to find relief from digestive issues.
- The starting line: Figuring out the best day to start your cleanse can help tremendously. You wouldn’t want to sabotage your cleanse by choosing the week of a big dinner party, or risk tempting yourself with a little cake at the upcoming wedding you’re attending, would you? Choose a week with the least amount of appointments and commitments and mark your calendar!
- Plotting your course: Layout your roadmap to your cleansing success. When you have a clear plan and stick to it, you’ll achieve those goals in no time!
2. Find your cheerleaders
You read that right. Start with a list of your biggest supporters. Who has always backed your dreams and goals, no matter how wild they may have seemed at the time? Who has been there to encourage you, even when you may have been doubting yourself? These incredible people are your cheerleaders and trust me when I say you're going to need them!
When you gather your support team and let them know what this cleanse means to you, they’ll be the ones to help see you through. Your cheerleaders won’t let you give up, sneak a cheat, or lose sight of your goals. Whether this squad is made up of friends or family, you’ll be glad you reached out for their support on your health journey.
Brush off the negative vibes and Debbie Downers. You don’t need that energy weighing you down. Your team can help keep you focused on your goals and see you to the finish line.
3. Out with the old, in with the new
Grab a couple of bags and start purging that pantry! The last thing you want is a kitchen full of temptation. You don’t need a tub of cookies and cream ice cream calling out to you each time you open the freezer. With a list of cleanse-approved foods by your side, get to work ridding your home of the foods that lured you off the healthy path to begin with.
Now, I don’t want you to push your sugary habits onto someone else, but surely there are foods that I'm sure you can find a new home for. You could always donate those grains you won’t be needing or take the carton of cookies to your breakroom at work.
Now that you've cleaned your fridge and cupboards of the old, it's time to stock up on the new. Fill your kitchen with the right healthy foods that will fill you up, cleanse your body of toxins, and fight inflammation. Some delicious and super nutritious examples that are my personal favorites include:
But my absolute favorite and go-to for everything is bone broth. Bone broth is loaded with the nutrients your body needs to cleanse and reset. Packed with collagen, gelatin, clean proteins, and more, it offers:
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Improved kidney and liver functioning
- Bright, glowing, youthful skin
- Cleansing of your entire body
Fill your shopping list with ingredients for plenty of bone broth you can sip on or enjoy as a soup, smoothie or dessert. Don’t forget to add all the foods you’ll need to last throughout your cleanse. By preparing and shopping in advance, you take out the urge to snack or grab the most accessible item as you run out the door. Making your list and shopping before your start date will allow you to batch prep your snacks and meals and keep you on the right path.
4. Prep your body for change
Chances are, you’re about to make some drastic changes to your typical daily diet. Taking the time to prepare your body and mind for these changes can help set you up for a successful cleanse.
A few days before you begin your cleanse and reset, start to make a few adjustments, including:
- Hydrate your body with an abundance of clean water.
- Start reducing those carbs! This may be a big step for many of you, so it’s better to start a few days in advance to lessen the shock.
- If you don’t already, start introducing your palette and system to healthy fats, a few lean proteins, and don’t forget those leafy greens.
You’ll also want to prepare yourself for possible flu-like symptoms when you begin your cleanse. Don’t be alarmed. It's only your body adjusting to the significant dietary changes you’re making. Also known as the carb-flu, you may feel bouts of sluggishness, digestive changes, and perhaps a touch of grouchiness. Continue to sip on your collagen-filled bone broth, and symptoms will begin to subside.
Prepare to be more energetic, show off a slimmer tummy and combat digestive issues and troubled skin. If you stick to these four fabulous tips, you’ll soon be looking in the mirror at the healthiest version of yourself you ever thought possible.
Considering a cleanse kit for extra support? Here are some options available at Vitacost.com: