What’s in it?
- Olive oil: This DIY lotion has moisturizing characteristics without being too greasy, thanks to beneficial olive oil. Used since ancient times, olive oil contains squalene, which is a phenolic compound loaded with useful anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating qualities.
- Beeswax is another amazing skin-healing ingredient that locks in moisture. Beeswax is packed with softening and emollient-rich vitamin A, which can help rebuild damaged skin cells. It’s comedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores, keeping the skin moist and blackhead-free.
- Shea butter: This ingredient adds rich texture and has the ability to boost collagen – a protein naturally produced by your body that’s concentrated in skin, muscles, bones, blood vessels, joints and tendons.
- Frankincense: Not only is this essential oil an anti-aging and wrinkle-fighting ingredient, it helps heal bacteria-containing blemishes.
- Lavender helps reduce acne-causing bacteria while providing relaxing benefits as well.
- Peppermint oil can eliminate aches from sore muscles and rejuvenate the skin. It’s also microbial, providing calming effects inflamed skin such as a sunburn, eczema and psoriasis.
3 helpful tips
- If you prefer a creamier texture, use an electric mixer or hand beater for a minute or two. Blend ingredients until you reach your desired consistency, cool and store in container for daily use (a glass mason jar or BPA-free plastic pump bottle works best).
- Since this combination uses coconut oil, it’s a good idea to refrigerate lotion during warmer months to prevent melting and maintain consistency.
- Avoid the eye area when rubbing in this luxurious, chemical-free lotion and wash hands thoroughly after each application.
DIY Essential Oil Lotion: Frankincense, Lavender & Peppermint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. beeswax
- 1 Tbsp. shea butter
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- Use double boiler method or heat-safe glass bowl (you can also use a glass measuring cup) that fits inside a pan to melt olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax. Stir until completely melted and combined.
- Remove from heat, add essential oils and stir until well blended.
- Allow mixture to cool while periodically checking consistency. Tip: For a thinner, creamier consistency, use a hand mixer (or electric mixer) for one or two minutes.
- Spoon mixture into container with pump or tightfitting lid. Apply, as needed, to face and body, avoiding the eyes.