Step aside apple, there’s a new pie in town. Whoever first paired tart blackberries with sweet honey knew what they were doing – the flavors complement each other perfectly! Baked into a deliciously flakey, gluten-free pie crust, the mixture becomes a summery treat that will delight any picnic or potluck crowd. Get ready for a dessert worthy of entering into your town’s next pie contest.
1 pkg. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust Mix, prepared and chilled
2 lbs. fresh blackberries
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour
3/4 cup honey
1 tsp. lemon Juice
2 tsp. orange zest
1 egg (optional)
1 Tbsp. water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and remove dough from refrigerator. Let dough sit at room temperature until malleable.
- Roll 1/2 of dough into 12” circle between two pieces of heavy-duty plastic wrap, then remove top layer of plastic, invert and center dough over a 9” nonstick pie pan. Press crust into place, then remove remaining plastic wrap.
- In bowl, toss blackberries with tapioca flour, honey, lemon juice and orange zest. Pour mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Roll remaining chilled dough into a 10” circle between two pieces of heavy-duty plastic wrap. Remove top layer of plastic, invert and center dough over filling. Press dough into place, then trim, seal and flute edges. Cut four vents in top dough. (Note: If desired, instead of solid-topped pie crust, create lattice top by cutting dough into thin strips and crisscrossing over filling as shown.)
- If desired, brush crust with egg wash made from 1 egg whisked thoroughly with water.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue to bake until filling is set/beginning to bubble and crust is golden (about 60 minutes).