While the year-round nightshade is best known for its award-winning role in eggplant Parmesan, it has been featured in many a vegan or vegetarian recipe. If you’re ready for something new to tickle your fancy, stuffed eggplant boats are a filling dish that’s loaded with flavor. Stars of the show include whole grains and healthy fats, but you may also enjoy the roasted red peppers and cilantro cameo. Give this recipe a chance, and you’re guaranteed to have the perfect date night – or afternoon matinee.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut eggplant in half. Scoop out most of the meat, cut into cubes and add to a large bowl.
3. Season cubed eggplant meat with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Return eggplant meat to the shell and bake 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, bring 3 cups water to boil. Once boiling, add 1 cup millet, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Scoop out cooked eggplant meat and place in the same large bowl. Toss with cooked millet, 2 tablespoons olive oil, peppers, cilantro, salt and pepper.
7. Divide mixture among two eggplant boats and serve.