Superfoods. Perhaps you've heard of them. After all, they're pretty prominent in health and wellness circles. But what exactly are they? And why should you eat them?
Chew on this.
The name “superfoods” may bring to mind an image of a sweet potato clad in a cape. That vision actually isn’t too far off. Superfoods are a special class of foods generally recognized for their powerful nutrition benefits. They tend to be richer in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients than many ordinary foods, and often have fewer calories to boot. These nutritional powerhouses join the usual suspects—whole grains, lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies and good fats—to compose a healthy diet.
Want to incorporate superfoods into your regimen? We’ve outlined some of our faves below to help you get started!
- The maca plant grows in the Andes Mountains of central Peru. Part of the broccoli family, this Incan superfood is used to promote energy, balance and vitality.* Maca is packed with vitamins, minerals, fatty and amino acids and plant sterols. The slightly sweet, nutty flavor of the nutrient-dense whole food makes it a wonderful addition to tea, shakes, smoothies, yogurt, cereal, granola bars and more. Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder is a super choice!
- Brought to you from the highlands of Chile, Ecuador and Peru, lucuma’s light, maple-like flavor makes it a fabulous alternative sweetener. The mineral- and vitamin-rich tropical fruit can be added to a variety of recipes from smoothies and milkshakes to cakes, pies and other desserts—it’s even a popular ice cream flavor in Europe and South America! Turn to Navitas Naturals Organic Lucuma Powder for a healthy dose of antioxidants and dietary fiber.
- Also knows as cocoa, this tiny bean from the fruit of the cacao tree has been celebrated for centuries for its incredible health benefits and flavor. The Aztecs and Mayans were huge fans of cacao, which contains fiber, magnesium, calcium, iron and other essential nutrients that provide energy and antioxidants to help ward off damage from those pesky free radicals.* Take your yogurt, smoothies and chocolate treats to the next level with SunFood Organic Cacao Powder Chocolate.
- Tangy camu camu berries contain more immune-supporting vitamin C than any other plant source—over 30 times the amount found in oranges! Jazz up your juice and smoothie recipes with SunFood Camu Camu Powder, which is chock-full of antioxidants and vitamin A for skin and eye health.* Keep in mind that a little of this superfood goes a long way!
- Native to the Mediterranean, this superfood has a naturally sweet, chocolatey flavor, similar to that of cacao. But unlike cacao, carob contains no caffeine. Use carob powder, extracted from the pods of the carob tree, to replace equal amounts of cacao powder in your favorite recipes—or as a sugar substitute. SunFood Organic Raw Carob Powder enhances the flavor of smoothies and desserts while providing beneficial fiber, calcium, potassium and trace minerals. Now that’s super!
- Consumed by Aztec warriors for stamina and endurance, mild, nutty chia seeds are packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids and fiber. Top off yogurt, pudding, smoothies, stir fries and salads with a delicious, nutritious chia seed powder, like Organic Traditions Sprouted Chia Seed Powder, for added flavor and overall healthy goodness!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.