Vitacost Red Lentils - Non-GMO Description
These colorful, quick-cooking lentils have a mild, slightly sweet, earthy flavor and soft texture – perfect in Indian and Middle Eastern dishes, soups and stews.
Non-GMO Project Verified
No additives or preservatives
Popular in Indian & Middle Eastern cuisine
Cook up soft – ideal for purees or thickening recipes
Faster cooking than other types of lentils
Love lentils? If you normally load up on the green or brown variety, these red lentils will be a pleasing change of pace for your palate. Slightly sweet and nutty tasting, red lentils are the same as brown lentils, only their skins have been removed. The remaining reddish-orange seeds cook up quickly, letting you enjoy this versatile legume in less time than others.
Because they’re hulled, red lentils tend to lose their shape while cooking, breaking down and becoming soft. They mix in well to Indian or Middle Eastern dishes or can be pureed and added to soups or stews to thicken the texture.
Vitacost nutritional products are manufactured to high standards of quality, efficacy and safety. Each Vitacost product meets or exceeds the standards and requirements set forth in the FDA’s Code of Federal Regulation (21 CFR, 111) Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
Carefully sort lentils, removing any debris or shriveled lentils, and rinse thoroughly.
To prepare, in a medium-sized pot, combine 1 cup of lentils with 3 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft. Add a pinch of salt or preferred seasoning, if desired. use in recipes or puree in a blender or food processor until smooth to add to soups or stews.
Keep dry and at room temperature (59°-75°F [15°-24°C]).
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Serving Size: 1/4 Cup Dry (35 g)
Servings per Container: About 13
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1 g||1%|
| Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
| Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g||8%|
| Dietary Fiber||4 g||14%|
| Total Sugars||0 g|
| Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Vitamin D||0 mcg||0%|
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Other Ingredients: Red lentils.
May Contain: Wheat.
Manufactured in facility that processes milk, soy and wheat.
The product you receive may contain additional details or differ from what is shown on this page, or the product may have additional information revealed by partially peeling back the label. We recommend you reference the complete information included with your product before consumption and do not rely solely on the details shown on this page. For more information, please see our full disclaimer
Red Lentil Vegan Bolognese
Wholesome and hearty, this Bolognese is made entirely with plant-based ingredients. Traditional Bolognese sauce is known for being thick and meaty. The red lentils in this vegan version work magic to mimic the original’s texture, density and protein count. Satisfying with layers of savory flavor from onion, garlic, carrot, mushroom, tomato and an expert mix of herbs and spices, this meal adds up to a perfect nourishing comfort food. Make it gluten-free with the great-tasting chickpea pasta used here!
Red Lentil Vegan Bolognese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small brown onion (diced)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 celery stick (diced)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (diced)
- 1/4 tsp. Redmond Real Salt Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 24-oz. jar Rao's Homemade Tomato Herb Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 Tbsp. SunButter Sunflower Butter
- 1 tsp. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. fennel
- 1 pkg. Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti
- 1/2 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (diced)
- In large pot, heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrot, tomato, celery, mushrooms, salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add lentils, tomato sauce, stock, SunButter, apple cider vinegar, aminos and spices. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure lentils don’t stick to bottom. Add peas 2 minutes before end of simmer. Sauce should be thickened and lentils soft.
- Cook pasta per package directions. Drain, drizzle with buttery oil and sea salt and toss until well combined.
- Plate pasta and spoon Bolognese on top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Tip: To save time, use canned lentils and simmer 7 minutes instead of 40.
Add the ingredients to your cart and make this hearty meal!