Canine Carob Conversation-Heart Cookies
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup sweet brown rice flour
- ½ cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp. carob powder
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using rolling pin, roll out dough into ¼” thickness.
- Using cookie cutter, cut shapes and place on lined cookie sheet.
- Press letters/words into treats.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until dry. For softer treats, bake for less time.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
Sometimes rolling pins pull at dough, causing small tears and marks. To keep the surface smooth, roll out the dough under plastic wrap.
Shelf-life & Storage
Crunchy: Keep stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Treats will last 4 to 6 weeks. Refrigerate for longer shelf-life.
Soft: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months. If your dog doesn’t have teeth issues, there’s no reason you can’t give him a frozen treat.