Coconut, Lime & Ginger Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream Frosting
- 1-1/3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 cup organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 6 Tbsp. vegan butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-½ tsp. coconut extract
- 1 tsp. lime juice
Lime buttercream frosting
- 3-4 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (softened at room temperature)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 2-3 Tbsp. almond milk
- Organic shredded coconut flakes (optional)
- Lime zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line or spray cupcake pan.
- In measuring cup, mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit 10 minutes.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, lime zest and sea salt. Set aside.
Using hand mixer, beat together softened vegan butter and sugar until well combined and fluffy.
Add milk-vinegar mixture, coconut extract and lime juice; continue beating until well combined.
- Mix in dry ingredients until everything is well combined and smooth with no visible lumps, about 1 to 2 minutes, being careful to not overmix.
- Fill each cupcake well 3/4 full with batter. Bake 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F; continue baking 14 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn oven off and keep cupcakes inside with the oven door slightly open for about 2 minutes. Remove cupcakes from oven. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting, beat together powdered sugar and vegan butter until it looks ‘peas-like.’ Beat in salt, lime juice and milk until creamy and fluffy. If buttercream is too thin, add additional powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time; if too thick, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer buttercream to piping bag. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with shredded coconut flakes and lime zest, if desired.